Image of students in a classroom setting

Making your postgraduate application

If you wish to apply to study a full-time taught Masters, Masters by Research, MPhil/PhD at LJMU, you should check if you require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme or ATAS certificate. It can take four to six weeks to receive an ATAS certificate, so please make sure you apply as early as possible. You can find out more on the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website. Alternatively, contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team for guidance.

Please note: international students entering on a Tier 4 visa cannot study part time. Students entering the UK on alternate types of visa may be in a position to study part time. Please contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team for further details before making your application.

In order to obtain a visa you will also need to show evidence that the money required to cover your tuition fees and living expenses has been in your bank account for at least 28 days prior to submitting your visa application. So please make sure that your finances are in place before applying. For advice on any aspect of the application process, please contact LJMU's International Admissions Team

The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.

Additional requirements

In addition to satisfying the general academic criteria, you will also need to demonstrate your English language proficiency. You are advised to check our online course information for detailed and up-to-date entry requirements for specific degrees.

Applying for a taught masters degree

For the majority of postgraduate courses at LJMU, you will need to complete the University’s online application form, then complete the following steps:

  • Choose your course
  • Choose when you want to start
  • Complete the relevant sections on the application form

Remember to make the most of all your skills and life experiences not just your normal qualifications, when completing your application form. LJMU will get back to you as soon as your application has been considered.

Please note: the application process is different for the following courses:

MA Social Work applications are made through UCAS. Applications for the Legal Practice Course are made through the Central Applications Board.

Applying for a research degree

Before you apply we recommend that you contact the Faculty or School you are interested in to check that they have an appropriate supervisor in the area you wish to undertake research and to ensure your qualifications meet our entry requirements, which can be found in the online postgraduate fact files.

Approved agents

You may also apply via an LJMU approved agent. 

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Before you can apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK under Tier 4 you will require a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies or CAS. This is a ‘virtual document’similar to a database record. Each CAS has a unique reference number, and contains information about your course of study and your personal details. The CAS also includes details of the documents LJMU has used to assess your suitability as a student. 

As part of your visa application, you will need to present an original version of any document listed within your CAS. LJMU will only assign a CAS once you have satisfied the conditions of any offer made to you. In addition to any academic conditions or English language requirements, you may be asked to provide LJMU with specific pieces of supporting documentation (such as your passport), satisfying the University’s obligations as a Tier 4 Sponsor.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

 International Admissions Team

Your visa application

As soon as you have received an offer of a place at LJMU you should check whether you need a visa for entry into Britain. You are advised to do this as soon as you can as the visa application process can take a long time.

Please note: To obtain an entry visa you should go to the British Embassy or High Commission in your own country, and present the following original documents:

  • Passport
  • A valid LJMU Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • 500 Internal Server Error

    Internal Server Error

    The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

  • Two recent photographs of yourself (passport-size)
  • All relevant educational diplomas and certificates (as stated on your CAS)
  • A declaration of your intent to return

LJMU works with a number of education agencies across the globe, please contact us for more information